Avalanche Canada’s Backyard Backcountry Challenge
This is not a race. It’s not about the fastest or longest journey. The challenge is to motivate, energize, and share your backcountry activities in your backyard. There’s no need to travel outside your community. Spend the month of March connecting with friends in your backyard in the great Canadian winter. Travel safely and check avalanche.ca before you go.
The virtual challenge is to climb the equivalent vertical of Mount Everest, the highest point on the planet at 8,849 metres or 29,028 feet, a feat only about 5,000 people have accomplished. Log your daily trips on Race Roster making your way up to Everest base camp, through the Khumbu Icefield, past Camp II to the Lhotse Face, through Camps III and IV leading to the Hillary Step, and finally the summit!
By participating in the Backyard Backcountry Challenge, you will support the programs and services of Avalanche Canada, including the daily avalanche forecasts that help all of us make good decisions and travel safely in the backcountry, in your backyard.
Registration is open February 17 – March 31, 2021
The Challenge runs March 1 – 31, 2021
Registration fee is $30.00 plus $3.36 processing fee and includes:
– All registrants get a 45-day FATMAP Explore membership
– First 30 registrants get a 3-month FATMAP Explore membership
– First 250 registrants get an Avalanche Canada neck tube
– Eligible for weekly door prizes from FATMAP, BCA, The North Face, Marcus Baranow, Avalanche Canada, and Herschel Supply Co.
– Eligible for 2 grand prizes from Mammut